Friday, February 25, 2011

The First Painting: Clown Sleeping on Moving Bus


    So I've changed the composition for the first painting, of the sleeping clown, to a scene inside the circus bus that was very familiar to me -- of my music partner sleeping on "the red bed", which was a tiny cot-like thing suspended/hanging from the ceiling of the bus. I have a few photos from in side the bus as stylistic references, but mostly I'll have to go off of what I remember. I'm sure I'll deal with many obstacles in creating the scene from memory, specifically consistent perspective, light, and shadows.

NEW COMPOSITION:


ORIGINAL COMPOSITION:


    I think that might be the most intriguing thing about these images, and the main motive for painting them; simply the fact that I don't have any record of these specific memories, and painting is the only way to recreate them.

    And I guess my real challenge, as Gail Dawson and our T.A. Todd pointed out, is how to portray what it is I am saying about my subject through the way in which it's painted. I need to think of ways to achieve some sort of visual affect in the mark making and texture of the painting that communicates the rugged, worn down, grittiness of transient circus life.

    So I did a few more studies involving texture, just messing around with different textures. They all turned out pretty bold, I think I need to work on creating something subtle that draws the viewer in. I need to simplify my shit! But here they are, nonetheless:






No comments:

Post a Comment